Classification: Part-Time, hourly
At Essie Justice Group, we reduce barriers so that women with incarcerated loved ones can lead. This includes providing high-quality childcare at events, meetings, and member retreats. We are looking for energetic and compassionate childcare providers to provide quality childcare during our 9-week Healing to Advocacy cohorts, a space that brings together Black and Latinx women, formerly and currently incarcerated women, trans-women, and gender non-conforming people to heal from mass incarceration, build collective power, and drive social change.
In August of 2019, Essie will be launching cohorts in across the State of California. Each cohort will meet once a week in the evening with an accompanying childcare team to take care of children during the meeting.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Cultivate and maintain a safe, engaging, and positive environment for all childcare participants.
- Lead thoughtful and fun activities that enhance learning, support social-emotional development, and develop a strong sense of community.
- Assist in carrying out positive reinforcement procedures and preventative strategies to address any conflict or problems that arise during care.
- Implement safety practices and protocol, and immediately and effectively respond to any needs or conflicts that may occur during care.
- Maintain strong communication with parents/guardians about their child’s daily activities, interests, needs, and such particulars that support providing a safe, fun, and educational environment for their child.
- Monitor children during meal and snack time, and direct good health and safety practices such as hand-washing, mindful eating, and avoiding foods on the allergy list provided by each child’s parent or guardian.
- Keep childcare space clean and safe of any obstructions that may harm children during care.
- Debrief outcomes with childcare network coordinator to assess best practices and needs for improvement to ensure each session is providing high quality of care.
- Applicants should be available to commit to all 9-week sessions from 5:00-9:00 pm, which will take place in the same location. Childcare providers are needed for cohorts in the following cities:
- San Jose, CA
- Sacramento, CA
- Applicants must be able to attend a mandatory childcare training and parent orientation.
Background checks are required at the final hiring stages for all childcare providers. A record does not automatically disqualify applicants from this position. Please ask us if you have any questions about the role of background checks in our hiring process.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- 2+ years of relevant experience working with youth or in childcare related fields.
- Enthusiasm for building relationships with children of varying ages.
- Experience with setting up and facilitating stimulating environments for children and young people, including snack preparation.
- A strong commitment to the mission, goals, and philosophy of Essie Justice Group.
- Ability to consistently and sustainably hold space for the physical and emotional needs of children with various age levels, identities, and cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Highly responsible, strong decision-making skills and unfailingly trustworthy.
- Upholds dignity and respect of all children, families, and colleagues and responds appropriately to challenging situations or escalating behaviors that arise.
- Positive approach, can-do attitude, and a sense of humor.
- Ability to thrive as a member of a collaborative team.
- Punctual, reliable, and communicative follow through with commitments.
How to Apply
Please submit thoughtful responses to the following questions and submit through our hiring portal (https://essiejusticegroup.bamboohr.com/jobs). Submission of a resume is optional. If you need more room to answer the questions, please attach a PDF or Word Doc to the “Cover Letter” section of the application portal.
- Please describe each of your childcare work experiences. (1-2 sentences each)
- Describe how your personal experience or values align with the work of Essie Justice Group to end the harm of mass incarceration. (3-5 sentences)
- What about being a Childcare Provider for children in the Essie community do you find most exciting? (3-5 sentences)
- Please share what age-group of children you work with. Are there any ages that you find difficult to work with? Why? (3-5 sentences)
- Are you available to provide childcare in San Jose and/or Sacramento? If yes, which city/cities?
Equal Employment Opportunity
Essie Justice Group provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all staff members. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and skills. Essie does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, prior conviction, arrest history or any other characteristic protected by law.
Essie values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones; formerly incarcerated people; people of color; women; queer, trans, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people. We welcome applicants who thrive in the pursuit of social justice.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.