Essie Justice Group (Essie) is building grassroots power to dismantle the US incarceration system, the most egregious creator of racial and gender injustice of our time. We are a loving and powerful community of women with incarcerated loved ones and include cisgender women, transgender women, formerly incarcerated women, gender nonconforming people, elders, and young people. On the precipice of significant organizational growth, Essie is focused on intentional institution building to catalyze the accessibility of our programs to reach 1 in 4 women who have loved ones behind bars and sustain bold decarceration advocacy. We are seeking a skilled and values-aligned Finance & Operations Specialist to join our team.
The Finance & Operations Specialist is a creative systems-thinker and designer who enjoys building the infrastructure required for a growing team of advocates and organizers. A patient and thoughtful problem solver, the Finance & Operations Specialist leverages their knowledge and comfort with non-profit finance, as well as operations software and tools in order to facilitate the overall effectiveness of our team. The Finance & Operations Specialist approaches their financial responsibilities with rigor, attention to detail and humility, which in turn enables all members of the team to be good stewards of organizational resources and the Executive Director to make sound financial decisions. The Finance & Operations Specialist is honest, transparent, and operates from an unwavering commitment to ethics on a daily basis. In 2019, the Finance & Operations Specialist will design and develop the systems needed to support a team of approximately 20 staff in two locations.
Accounting and Financial Management
- Coordinate and ensure smooth and accurate financial processes including monthly closing of books, managing our bookkeeper, weekly check runs, staff reimbursements, and credit card use.
- Review monthly financial reports, prepare basic financial reports and budgets for funding proposals, and support the Director of Strategy during Essie’s annual budgeting process.
- Coordinate materials as part of annual audit preparations and serve as an internal resource and steward of strong internal controls.
- Collaboratively draft financial policies and procedures and recommend changes as necessary in alignment with growth of Essie’s staff and budget.
Develop & Maintain Operations Systems
- Manage and improve organization-wide systems, including those focused on storage, communication, and workflow management.
- Routinely analyze and test our systems, and where appropriate, make recommendations for system and process improvements in consideration of budget and organizational needs.
- Serve as Essie’s Salesforce administrator, train and support staff in using Salesforce, manage contractors for database customization as needed.
- Develop, maintain, and train all staff on organization-wide digital security protocols.
- Develop and implement trainings that equip all staff with sufficient information to be good stewards of our resources on basic non-profit finance as well as Essie’s chart of accounts, budget classes, and policies.
- Manage technology vendors including IT and Zoom; purchase and oversee equipment.
- Manage Operations Coordinator and up to one intern.
Who We’re Looking For
- 3+ years relevant professional experience in non-profit operations, finance, or accounting.
- Experience with QuickBooks Online and Salesforce.com.
- Exceptional capacity and sense of responsibility to follow policies, procedures, and act ethically at all times.
- Ability to train people with a range of experiences in non-profit finance and operations systems and tools.
- Ability to develop systems and processes that are responsive to staff needs and simple to implement across the organization.
- Experience and ability to work with large and complex businesses, vendors, or systems, advocating for an organization’s best interests.
- Knows good ideas require great systems. Every time you see something beautiful or impactful you marvel for a moment—but then spend most of your time imagining what was at work behind the scenes. You see great systems as key to brilliant execution. You love “the how.” What’s more, you foster excitement among a team for systems that in your view have been misunderstood as mundane, boring, or unimportant. You find fulfillment in creating the kind of systems that build confidence, effectiveness, and programmatic reach.
- Thrives in the weeds. You approach building and problem solving with curiosity, creativity, and an obsessive attention to detail.
- Sees #Woke as a verb. You are committed to continuously deepening and evolving your own understanding of systems of oppression through study, openness, and humility. And you easily recognize your own relationship to privilege and power, examining and shifting your behaviors as appropriate.
- Values people, process, and results. You are an exceptionally hard worker. You thrive in inspiring environments in which stuff gets done with speed, great impact, and focus.
- Discernment and honesty we can trust. You are a thoughtful communicator who acts in alignment with your integrity and are unfailingly trustworthy. You readily follow the rules when no one is looking and are sought-after by friends and colleagues for help to navigate gray areas because they know you’ll hold them accountable to what’s right.
- Uplifting and additive. You see mistakes as opportunities for growth; problems as catalysts for solutions, and inspire others along the journey. You carry a positive approach, can-do attitude, a sense of humor, and authentic kindness wherever you go.
The Finance and Operations Specialist is a full-time exempt position. This position is supervised by the Director of Strategy. The salary for this position is between $60,000 – $65,000 depending on experience with full medical, dental, and vision benefits, optional 401(k), a substantial vacation package, and a monthly personal wellness stipend. The position is not remote and can be based at Essie’s office in Oakland, California.
Please address a thoughtful cover letter to the “Essie Hiring Committee” and submit along with a resume through our hiring portal (https://essiejusticegroup.bamboohr.com/jobs).
Essie values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people. We welcome applicants who thrive in the pursuit of social justice.
Essie Justice Group provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all staff members. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and skills. Essie does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, prior conviction, arrest history or any other characteristic protected by law.