Compensation: $24.04 per hour for this non-exempt, hourly position
To apply: essiejusticegroup.bamboohr.com/jobs
Essie Justice Group (Essie) is building grassroots power to dismantle the US incarceration system, the most egregious creator of racial and gender injustice of our time. We are a loving and powerful community of women with incarcerated loved ones and include cisgender women, transgender women, formerly incarcerated women, gender nonconforming people, elders, and young people.
Building a sustainable grassroots institution that can be leveraged in the fight for a Black feminist future is a priority at Essie. Through the development of thoughtful organizing models, a vibrant organizational culture, and scalable structure our aim is to break the isolation of the 1 in 4 women who have loved ones behind bars and sustain bold decarceration advocacy through the leadership of women with loved ones behind bars. After six years of honing our Healing to Advocacy organizing model that graduated over 200 women in 29 cohorts into our sisterhood and building an active member leadership structure across California, we are poised to launch the first national membership of women with incarcerated loved ones in the United States and to wage ever more ambitious campaigns to usher in an era of prison closures in California. We seek a motivated, organized, and values-aligned Operations Fellow to join our team as we embark on this organizational expansion.
The Operations Fellow is a problem solver who finds joy in making meetings, events, and environments both welcoming and conducive to the urgent and collaborative work we undertake at Essie. The person in this role is an effective advocate, ensuring that the needs and well-being of the organization are met while skillfully maintaining important staff and vendor relationships. The ideal person in this role recognizes that our team spends more waking hours in the office than at home, and wants our office to be a space conducive to working, collaboration, learning, and growing, especially now that it is virtual for the time being. This person values and is excited by details and research, and enjoys finding effective, time-saving processes for day-to-day operations.
As an integral part of the Resources & Operations team, this Operations Fellow would work cross-functionally across the organization to bring their operational expertise both to the administrative systems that support our growing team and the events through which some of our most important work as a community and team takes place. This person is a natural multi-tasker who is able to wear many hats and follow through on various deliverables at once.
The start date for the Operations Fellow is April 5, 2021. The application deadline is midnight on Sunday, January 10, 2021.
Administrative Support for Operations & Information Systems Management: Support the implementation of internal and programmatic operations systems/solutions.
- Maintain vendor and other organizational contact information in Essie’s Salesforce CRM.
- Support staff and members in using technology tools and systems.
- Collect, sort, and distribute mail.
- Respond to email and phone inquiries on behalf of the organization.
- Support in improving organization-wide systems, including those focused on information storage, communication, and workflow management.
Financial Process Support: Support the administrative and logistical work necessary to maintain our financial systems.
- Maintain digital and hard-copy filing systems, including monthly financial records.
- Support the Operations Associate in coordinating regular financial processes (e.g., monthly close out), preparing basic financial reports and budgets for funding proposals, as well as during Essie’s annual budgeting process and audit.
- Aid in logistics, administrative and other support functions for staff financial workshops.
- Draft documentation and forms to support financial processes materials.
- Support the Operations Associate in monthly and weekly accounting processes.
Office and Facilities Support: Support in the planning for safe and effective transitions back to the office if and when appropriate in 2021 and the maintenance of Essie’s Oakland office in 2022 and beyond.
- Maintain office space through coordination of staff chore delegation, ongoing monitoring, and attention to aesthetic presentation of the office space.
- Research and implement new systems to improve utility of the office and its operational functions, both in our remote office phase and if we are able to transition back to the physical office.
- Liaise with building/property management to report and track all service requests.
- Greet visitors and on occasion, escort them to the office.
- Manage and maintain office supplies, snacks, and inventory of merchandise, supplies, and equipment in storage.
- Support Operations Associate with maintaining technology vendor relationships, including Zoom and other IT.
- Support onboarding of new staff to Essie office features, tech systems, and ensure they have all necessary supplies.
- Maintain office calendar including managing room reservations and fielding external requests.
- Take on delegated projects to support priority and specialized areas of work across the Resources & Operations department and other staff-focused programming, including ensuring that staff have work from home supplies needed to support health, effectiveness, and collaboration, posting job announcements, researching professional development opportunities, and scheduling staff meetings, trainings and retreats.
- Execute special projects delegated by the Campaigns and Advocacy staff that support your growth in organizing, member-led campaigning, and research.
- Do what it takes to ensure the success of assigned projects through strong project management, facilitation, communication, and administrative and logistics support.
Who We Are Looking For
- Commitment to supporting the leadership of women, trans women, and gender non-conforming people with incarcerated loved ones and our families.
- Detail-oriented, with excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Experience with data entry and maintaining digital and hard-copy filing systems.
- Experience developing efficient processes that allow for the successful functioning of day-to-day operations.
- Experience with Mac operating systems, Google Suite and MS Office Suite (especially Excel and Word).
- Ability to work independently and with discretion in decision-making related to administrative matters.
- Comfort with a fast-paced and non-traditional work environment.
- Feels an authentic personal need and desire to develop additional skills in project management, business email correspondence, personal time management systems, and team building.
- Dependable, solutions-oriented project manager. You are extremely organized and handle complex projects with skill and grace, especially in a fast-paced, focused environment. In your previous experience you’ve demonstrated exceptional follow-through by maintaining a constant engagement and leadership in a delegated project from beginning to end. You value and pride yourself on absolute reliability, rooted in a deep sense of responsibility. You anticipate needs and take initiative to address them. “I persist despite obstacles” is one of your mottos.
- Demonstrates impeccable work ethics. You possess highly developed decision-making skills and unfailing trustworthiness. You generate your own high standards and stick to them, often earning the trust of those around you. You understand and hold clear boundaries to protect both transparency and confidentiality, traversing the nuance with ease.
- Sees #Woke as a verb. You are committed to continuously deepening and evolving your own understanding of systems of oppression through study, openness, and humility. And you easily recognize your own relationship to privilege and power, examining and shifting your behaviors as appropriate.
- Uplifting and additive. You see mistakes as opportunities for growth; problems as catalysts for solutions, and inspire others along the journey. You carry a positive approach, can-do attitude, a sense of humor, and authentic kindness wherever you go.
The Operations Fellow is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly position supervised by the Operations Associate. The salary for this position is $24.04 per hour (which at 40 hours per week for the year is $50,000) with full medical, dental, and vision benefits, optional 401(k), a substantial vacation package, and a monthly personal wellness stipend. The position is based in Essie’s office in Oakland, California in 2022, but in 2021 there is a remote work option.
Please address a thoughtful cover letter to the “Essie Hiring Committee” and submit along with a resume through our hiring portal (https://essiejusticegroup.bamboohr.com/jobs) by the application deadline at midnight on Sunday, January 10, 2021.
Essie Justice Group provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all staff members. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and skills. Essie does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, immigration status, socioeconomic status, ancestry, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, prior conviction, arrest history, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Essie values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones; formerly incarcerated people; people of color; women; queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, performance assessment, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
About Essie Justice Group
Essie Justice Group is a non profit organization of women with incarcerated loved ones taking on the rampant injustices created by mass incarceration. Our award-winning Healing to Advocacy Model brings women together to heal, build collective power, and drive social change. Learn more at www.essiejusticegroup.org.