Compensation: $86,000 – $90,000
To apply: essiejusticegroup.bamboohr.com/jobs
Essie Justice Group (Essie) is building grassroots power to dismantle the US incarceration system, the most egregious creator of racial and gender injustice of our time. We are a loving and powerful community of women with incarcerated loved ones and include cisgender women, transgender women, formerly incarcerated women, gender nonconforming people, elders, and young people.
Building a sustainable grassroots institution that can be leveraged in the fight for a Black Feminist future is a priority at Essie. Through the development of thoughtful organizing models, a vibrant organizational culture, and scalable structure our aim is to break the isolation of the 1 in 4 women who have loved ones behind bars and sustain bold decarceration advocacy through the leadership of women with loved ones behind bars. After six years of honing our Healing to Advocacy organizing model that graduated over 200 women in 29 cohorts into our sisterhood and building an active member leadership structure across California, we are ready to launch the first national membership of women with incarcerated loved ones in the United States and deepen our organizing and member-led campaigning in California. In the midst of significant organizational growth, we are seeking a discerning, mission-driven, and innovative Senior Manager of Operations to join our team.
At Essie, operations work is uncommonly prioritized as a key way we live our values. Building innovative approaches to non-profit functions that push us closer to a society free from race, gender, and class inequality should feel exciting and refreshing to this person. The Senior Manager of Operations is a steadfast professional who thrives on managing a solid infrastructure from which an ambitious and visionary movement-building organization can be successful. The work of the Senior Manager of Operations is to design and facilitate systems that strategically manage Essie’s resources. This person is a highly collaborative, experienced and enthusiastic leader of people as they will be charged with managing a team to identify and implement operational and administrative solutions across the organization, including managing our database, human resources and financial and risk management. The Senior Manager of Operations approaches their organizational responsibilities with rigor, attention to detail, and humility, which in turn enables all members of the team to be good stewards of organizational resources and the Executive Director to make sound financial decisions. This accessible and trustworthy leader is honest, transparent, and operates from an unwavering commitment to ethics on a daily basis.
The start date for the Senior Manager of Operations is April 5, 2021. The application deadline is midnight on Sunday, January 10, 2021.
Financial & Risk Management: Oversee Essie’s financial resources. Assess and mitigate potential harms to the organization.
- Coordinate and ensure smooth and accurate financial processes including managing bank and credit card accounts, banking relationships and our accounting firm, as well as approving expense reports and staff reimbursements.
- Review monthly financial reports, prepare financial reports and budgets for funding proposals and finance committee reports, and support the Senior Director of Strategy and Operations during Essie’s annual budgeting process.
- Coordinate materials as part of annual audit preparations and serve as an internal resource, model, and steward of strong internal controls.
- Collaboratively design and recommend financial and risk management policies and procedures, and recommend system changes as necessary in alignment with growth of Essie’s staff and budget.
- Develop new infrastructure as one-off, unique needs arise (e.g. fiscal sponsorship, pass through grants, bail funds, 501c4, etc.).
- Lead in implementing Digital Security protocols across the organization.
- Serve as an internal expert and staff resource regarding Essie’s employee manual; conduct regular training for a well-informed staff. Draft, update and recommend policies as needed.
- Administer Essie’s benefits package including annual open enrollment and retirement plan; manage relationships with brokers and vendors; make recommendations for opportunities to enhance or adjust benefits provided; ensure staff are equipped to make sound decisions about benefits through training and one-on-one meetings.
- Maintain compliance with all Federal, State and local safety requirements, employment laws and policies.
- Oversee off-boarding process for transitioning staff including compliance and work transfer.
- Field any personnel complaints or grievances; escalate to Senior Director of Strategy, Executive Director, or Board of Directors when necessary. Conduct personnel investigations when necessary.
- Manage an HR firm to do transactional HR including running on-time, accurate semi-monthly payroll and ensure appropriate withholdings, pre-tax benefit deductions, reimbursements, bonuses, compensation adjustments, and garnishments, processing and administering all leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: medical, disability, and FMLA, coordinating employee payments with EDD or other state agencies.
Operations Management: Lead the development and maintenance of internal and operational systems/solutions to keep Essie functioning smoothly.
- Identify new operational system needs; delegate and oversee implementation.
- Identify or vet needs to customize or upgrade our internal database.
- Serve as a management team resource on the ins and outs of the technological tools and other software we use.
- Manage resources, vendors, technology and supplies, and tenant / landlord matters across Essie’s two offices in Oakland and Los Angeles.
- Directly manage up to three staff to run day-to-day operations and financial management processes.
Who We’re Looking For
- 4-5 years experience in operations, finance and human resources with a minimum of 2 years serving in management role(s) within the nonprofit sector.
- Superior knowledge of multiple operational functions and principles, including finance, risk management, data management, and human resources.
- Impeccable attention to detail and effective writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently make accurate and clear assessments about a constantly changing organizational landscape and with foresight, make determinations, produce insightful ideas, and set forth impactful next steps.
- Meaningful experience supervising multiple full time staff and experience supporting colleagues with direct experience of incarceration.
- Significant experience supervising people in a way that acknowledges differentials in privilege and power, recognizes their gifts, encourages their confidence, supports their growth, and holds them accountable to standards.
- Track record as a collaborative leader who excels in managing multiple projects, and is comfortable working in a fast-paced and non-traditional work environment.
- Trustworthy and empathetic leader. You care deeply about the impact of systems and processes on people. You believe that by demystifying inaccessible systems, you can help organizations and teams be more impactful and individual team members more confident in the process. Moving with a keen awareness of the organizational power inherent in your role, you can self-regulate in order to mitigate the harms of hierarchy. You are here for the people.
- Possesses a healthy obsession with quality and efficiency. While people are at the core of your strategy for organizational operations, your impact is also driven by a deep love for optimizing processes to maximize organizational resources. You make tough and highly complex decisions and move with a deep understanding of the implications and opportunities in every situation.
- Discernment and honesty we can trust. You are a thoughtful team member who acts in alignment with your integrity and are unfailingly trustworthy.
- Sees #Woke as a verb. You are committed to continuously deepening and evolving your own understanding of systems of oppression through study, openness, and humility. And you easily recognize your own relationship to privilege and power, examining and shifting your behaviors as appropriate.
- Uplifting and additive. You see mistakes as opportunities for growth; problems as catalysts for solutions, and inspire others along the journey. You carry a positive approach, can-do attitude, a sense of humor, and authentic kindness wherever you go.
The Senior Manager of Operations is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. This position is supervised by the Senior Director of Strategy. The salary for this position is between $86,000 – $90,000 depending on experience with full medical, dental, and vision benefits, optional 401(k), a substantial vacation package, and a monthly personal wellness stipend. The position is based in one of Essie’s offices in Oakland or Los Angeles, California.
Please address a thoughtful cover letter to the “Essie Hiring Committee” and submit along with a resume through our hiring portal (https://essiejusticegroup.bamboohr.com/jobs) by the application deadline at midnight on Sunday, January 10, 2021.
Essie Justice Group provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all staff members. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and skills. Essie does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, immigration status, socioeconomic status, ancestry, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, prior conviction, arrest history, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Essie values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones; formerly incarcerated people; people of color; women; queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, performance assessment, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
About Essie Justice Group
Essie Justice Group is a non profit organization of women with incarcerated loved ones taking on the rampant injustices created by mass incarceration. Our award-winning Healing to Advocacy Model brings women together to heal, build collective power, and drive social change. Learn more at www.essiejusticegroup.org.